Citizens asked to bring recyclable items to Community Collection Day event
MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. (Oct. 27, 2016) - Charleston County’s Environmental Management Department is celebrating America Recycles Day by hosting Community Collection Day to provide residents with a location to drop off unwanted items as part of the County’s residential curbside recycling program. The collection event will be held from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday, November 19, at the Felix C. Davis Community Center in Park Circle located at 4800 Park Circle in North Charleston.
America Recycles Day is a nationally-recognized day dedicated to promoting recycling. Sponsored by Keep America Beautiful, the day aims to promote events across the country that educate and encourage citizens to work together to increase recycling in their communities. Last year’s event in West Ashley served nearly 250 people and collected more than 3,000 items.
Locally, the November 19 event will help divert recyclable material from the Bees Ferry Landfill, and will also highlight the benefits of reuse and will remind Charleston County residents of other options for disposal. Goodwill will have staff at the event to collect certain materials for their organization; Cintas will be on site to shred and recycle confidential documents. CCEM will accept recyclable material that is normally collected curbside, as well as other recyclable items such as paint and electronic waste that can be dropped off to be recycled or reused by community partners.
County staff will be on hand to answer recycling questions and provide information to citizens.
Below is the full list of items that will be accepted at the November 19th event.
- Household chemicals
- Motor oil and cooking oil (in disposable container)
- E-waste: printers, TVs, computers, and monitors ONLY
- CDs/DVDs/CD cases
- VHS tapes/cassette tapes
- Extension cords/holiday lights
- All paper products (i.e. cardboard, books, magazines, newspaper, gift wrap, junk mail)
- Light bulbs
- Clean plastic grocery bags and plastic film (i.e. dry cleaning bags)
- Confidential documents for onsite shredding
- Goodwill would like to receive clothing, shoes, furniture, functioning appliances, tools and home décor.
Items NOT collected:
- Yard waste
- Non-functioning appliances
- Car seats
- Electronic waste other than printers, TVs, computers, and monitors
*Charleston County Environmental Management reserves the right to refuse any item(s).
For more information on recycling, contact Charleston County’s Environmental Management Department at (843) 720-7111 or visit recycle.charlestoncounty.org.